http://i.imgur.com/MjUPazz.jpg

유조 사진
오른쪽에서 2-3번째의 노르스름한 유조는 수컷이고 나머지는 암컷이다.
http://i.imgur.com/9l1f1Hj.jpg

한쌍 번식장의 모습 동영상 (수컷의 courtship)

둥지

http://i.imgur.com/fCkxtgZ.jpg

Season

It is often thought that there are no seasons in the tropics. This is not so. There is a wet season, brought on mainly by the North East Monsoon and a dry season between the monsoons. The life of the Shama in the wild is regulated by these changes in the climate. During the North East Monsoon, the rain may pour for days on end and it is difficult for the birds to find insects and other live food. The birds therefore regulate their breeding and molting to take place in the period between the monsoons when the plentiful live food during this time enables their heightened nutritional requirements to be met.

The breeding activity of tropical birds, including the Shama, begins as the heavy rains of the North East Monsoon taper to a close in January and continues until late August. Following breeding, the birds enter their annual molt in time to complete it before the start of the next monsoon.

In captivity in a covered aviary, the breeding season of the Shama is less controlled by the seasonal changes in the weather. Provided, it is in good breeding condition and live food is available, breeding can take place. Nevertheless, I find that continuous heavy rains have a depressing effect on the bird's desire to breed and I generally do not breed my birds during this time.

번식의 계절
열대우림에는 사계절이 없다고 생각한다. 그러나 그렇지않다. 북동부 몬순까지는 우기이고 몸순기후 사이는 건기이다. 야생에서 샤마의 생활은 그 기후 속에서 이런 변화로 이어진다.
북동몬순기후가 끝나는 시기에 며칠간 비가 퍼붓는다. 이런 시기에는 새들이 벌레와 다른 산모이( live food )들을 발견하기 어렵다. 그러므로 새들은 그들의 영양 높은 먹이가 풍부해지는 때인 몬순기후 사이의 시기가 되면 털갈이와 번식을 하게 된다.
샤마를 비롯한 열대우림 지역의 조류들 번식활동은 1월에 걷히는 북동부 몬순의 장마철 때부터 시작해서 늦게는 8월까지 계속된다.
야생에서 포획되어 옥외 방사장으로 옮긴 경우에, 샤마의 번식기는 기후적으로 계절의 변화에 따라 조정되는 것은 적어진다. 만약 산먹이를 이용할 수 있고 좋은 번식기후조건이 되었다면 번식은 이뤄질 수 있다. 그럼에도 불구하고 기나긴 장마는 번식의 욕구를 억제하는 효과를 가지고 있다고 사육가들은 자신들의 새들이 그 시기에 번식한 예가 없다고 말하고 있다.  

Food

Live food in the form of insects, baby frogs and small live fish should be provided to the breeding birds. The frogs and fish provide the calcium needed to form the eggshell and the bones of the chicks. As we are not able to give the birds the wide variety of live food that they are able to obtain in the wild, their diet should be supplemented by a vitamin and mineral supplement to ensure that they receive all the nutrition necessary to keep them healthy and to condition them for breeding. After many years of trying various brands, I now use the Vydex brand of avian vitamins and supplements almost exclusively.

먹 이
벌레들뿐 아니라 산먹이는 소형 개구리, 작은 물고기 등이 마련되어져야 하며, 개구리와 물고기는 칼슘섭취에 도움을 주어, 알껍질의 생성, 그리고 새끼들의 뼈를 형성하는데 도움을 준다. 야생에서 섭취할 수 있는 산먹이의 광범위하고 다양한 영양요소를 제공할 수 없을 때 번식기동안 그들의 건강과 컨디션을 유지하기 위해 필요한 영양원을 공급하기위해 비타민과 미네랄을 보충해주어야 한다. Vydex사의 조류비타민과 서플먼트(보충재)가 도움이 된다.

The Aviary

Needless to say, it is preferable to have a large aviary for breeding. Nevertheless, it need not be large for breeding to be successful. A size of 4' x 3' with a height of 7' will be adequate. It should be in the shade and away from human traffic.

The aviary should have many perches to provide for the chicks when they first emerge from the nest-box. They will be able to fly immediately they leave the nest but their flight will be unsteady. Without plenty of perches they will invariably fall and injure themselves. The many perches are only required for the first day of flight. By the second day, the chicks will have good control over their flight and will even be able to make a U turn in the air.

Coconut husks and other similar natural fibres should be provided for the pair to build their nests. These should be scattered on the aviary floor and not placed in the nest-box as the process of nest-building will stimulate the hen to breed. I have never had to build an artificial nest for my birds. The first sign that the female is ready to breed is that there will be few strands of nesting material in the bath water. As soon as you see this, if the female is not already with a male, she should be paired with a male that is ready.

번식장
번식장은 아주 크다고 좋은 것은 아닌거 같고, 이 새는 120cm x 90cm 그리고 높이가 210cm가 적당하다. 응달쪽에 소음을 피해서 위치하는 것이 좋다.
번식장에는 새끼들이 둥지에서 이소하는 첫날에는 날지 못하는 새끼들을 위해 많은 횃대를 준비해주어야 한다. 그들이 둥지를 떠나는 즉시 날 수 있을 것 같지만 번식장 내는 불안정할 것이다. 횃대가 많음에도 불구하고 그들은 반드시 떨어질 것이며 상처를 입게 된다. 많은 횃대는 오르지 이소하는 첫날에만 필요한 것이다.  그 바로 다음날은 새끼들이 번식장내를 U턴을 할 수 있을 정도로 자유자재로 다니게 된다.
번식을 하려는 새들에게는 야자껍데기 등의 자연 섬유 등을 충분히 마련해 주어야 한다. 나무둥지에 갖다 넣지 못하고 번식장 바닥에 흩어지게 되는 이런 것들은 둥지짓는 과정이기에 암컷이 번식하게 자극을 줄 것이다. 암컷이 번식할 준비가 되었다는 첫번째 징표는 목욕물통속에 둥지용 깃풀을 몇올씩 넣는다는 것이다. 사육자들은 이것을 보자마자 암컷이 수컷과 함께 번식준비가 안되었다면 번식 준비된 수컷과 쌍을 잡아주는 것이 좋다.

The Nest-box

The Shama is a cavity nester and it builds its nest from dried grasses and leaves in the hollow trunks of trees or in bamboo clumps. A nest-box should be provided for aviary breeding. I use a double nest-box as shown in the photograph. Such a setup has the advantage that the inner box containing the nest may be more easily removed for inspection of the eggs or the chicks.

The dimensions of the inner box should be 5¼" x 5¼" x 4" (Height). The outer box should be slightly larger to contain the inner box. It may be from 9" to 12" high, depending on the length of the male's tails to ensure that they are not damaged when the male enters the box from time to time.

The nest-box should be placed from 4' to 7' above the ground in a secluded part of the aviary. I once placed a nest-box on a stool about 2' from the ground with entrance facing the living room window so that the Shama hen could be seen sitting on the nest. She sat on the eggs and reared her brood but she always appeared a little uneasy when she saw anyone looking at her.

The chicks will not soil the nest. For as long as they remain in the nest, their droppings will be in a transparent "bag" that the parents will carry in their beaks and deposit some distance away from the nest-box.

박스 둥지
샤마는 대나무 수풀림 속이나 나무의 옹이백이나 구멍에 마른 나뭇잎과 풀잎으로 둥지를 짓는 구멍에 둥지를 트는 새이다.
속 박스의 크기는 13cm x 13cm x 10cm (높이)이고 겉박스는 가로와 세로는 속박스를 넣을 수 있게 조금 크며 높이는 수컷이 이따금씩 박스에 들어갈 때 긴 꼬리가 상하지않게 하기 위해 약 22.5~30 cm정도의 높이면 적당하다.(위의 사진 참조)

그 둥지박스는 번식장에서도 조금 외진쪽(사람이 잘 보이지 않는 쪽)으로 해서 바닥으로부터 약 120~210 cm 정도 위에 설치해야 한다. 어떤 사육자는 암컷이 포란하는 모습을 보기위해 거실 창문에서 보이는 쪽에 바닥에서 약 60cm 위에 있는 걸이대에 둥지박스를 설치했는데 그 암컷은 알을 낳고 새끼를 육추했지만 항상 쳐다보는 어떤 사람이 있을 때마다 늘 불안해 보였다고 말한다.  

새끼를 육추하는 동안 어미들은 새끼들의 분비물을 부리로 둥지로부터 멀리 떨어진 곳까지 물어 날랐기에 둥지 주변은 항상 깨끗하다.

Introducing the Pair

The pair should only be introduced when both are in top breeding condition. Otherwise, the male will kill the hen. A male in breeding condition will sung lustily and the white feathers on the rump will constantly tend to be raised. The hen will also sing. The couple should display and sing when their cages are placed side by side.

If the male sings but the female stays quiet on her perch, she is not ready to mate. If the female adopts the mating position by bending forward and spreading her wings she is over ready. In such event, if the birds are placed together, mating can be expected to take place almost immediately. She will then take only a day to build her nest and lay the first egg the following day. The first 2 or 3 eggs may be expected to be infertile.

More often, even though the pair is in breeding condition, mating will not take place immediately though the male will start to court the hen as soon as they are introduced. He will display and sing to her and tell her what a fine gentleman he is. He will also inspect the nest-box. He needs to see if it will be a suitable matrimonial home and he may enter and remain in it for long periods during which he will call softly to the hen. She will be interested and stand at the entrance to it. When the male leaves the nest-box, the hen may check its suitability but she seldom spends as much time in the box as the male prior to actual nest-building.

Ideally, nest-building should commence several days after the birds are introduced to each other. Usually only the hen will build the nest though I had an instance of a male commencing to build the nest with the female standing by. He had built about half the nest but stopped further nest-building when the hen commenced to build it. Ordinarily, the hen will take 2 days to build the nest. She will then rest. Her first eggs should be laid on the fourth day after she completes nest-building. She will continue to lay one egg a day until there are 3 to 4 eggs. Occasionally, there may be 5 eggs. When she laid the 3rd egg or, ideally after the last egg is laid, the female will commence to hatch the eggs. The female that takes a week to 10 days to build the nest is not in full breeding condition and the chances are she will abandon the nest eventually or the eggs she lays will be infertile. In such cases, she should be given additional Vitamin E to stimulate her to come into breeding condition.

쌍잡기
쌍은 단지 발정이 최고조에 달했을 때 서로 소개해야 한다. 그렇지않으면 수컷이 암컷을 죽일 수 있다. 번식기 동안 수컷은 시끄럽게 노래를 부르고 엉덩이의 흰 깃털이 계속적으로 성장하는 경향이 있다. 암컷도 역시 노래를 한다. 그 쌍은 그들의 새장에서 한단계씩 다가갈 때 노래하고 구애를 한다.

수컷이 노래를 하는데 암컷이 조용히 횃대에 앉아있다면 그 암컷은 수컷을 맞이할 준비가 안되었다는 것이다. 만약 암컷이 자기 날개를 짝 벌리고 몸을 앞으로 숙이면서 짝짓기 자세를 취하면 그 암컷은 이미 준비가 된 것이다. 암컷은 단지 하루 만에 둥지를 완성하고 수일내로 첫알을 산란할 것이며 첫번째 2~3알은 무정란이기 쉽다.  

보통 쌍이 번식기에 있음에도 불구하고 만나자마자 수컷이 암컷에게 구애를 시작한다 해도 짝짓기가 즉시 이뤄지지 않을 것이다. 수컷은 멋진 수컷이라고 노래하고 구애를 하고 둥지박스를 조사할 것이다. 또 그 둥지가 신방으로 적당한지 들어가 보고 또 둥지 속에서 오래 머무르면서 암컷을 부드럽게 부른다. 암컷은 흥미로워지면 그 속에 들어간다. 수컷이 둥지를 떠날 때 암컷은 그 둥지의 적합성을 체크하고 그렇지만 실제 둥지짓기 전의 수컷만큼 그 둥지에서 오래 머물지않는다.  

이상적으로는 둥지짓기는 새들이 서로 만난 후에 며칠간 함께 시작한다. 보통 암컷은 둥지짓는데 약 2일 정도 걸린다. 그리고 나머지는 쉰다. 암컷이 둥지짓기를 완성한지 나흘 뒤에 첫 알은 산란한다. 암컷은 계속해서 매일 1개씩 낳아 3~4개의 알을 산란한다.(간혹 5개를 낳는 경우도 있다). 보통 포란은 세번째 산란 후부터 실시하며 암수 교대로 포란한다. 그러나 암컷은 대개 10일 중 7일은 둥지짓는데 체력을 소모해 충분한 번식기에 들어가지 못해 알을 포기하는 경우도 있고 또는 무정란을 포란하는 경우도 있다. 이런 경우에는 암컷이 번식조건으로 들어가게 하기 위해 비타민E을 첨가해 주어야 한다.

Newly hatched chicks

The chicks are born without feathers and with eyes closed. Their eyes will open on the 6th day and by the 10th to 13th day, they should be fully covered with feathers and ready to fly. The feathers on the head may take a few more days to fully develop.

Both the parents can be expected to feed the chicks. In the first few days, the parents will take a great deal of time to tenderise the food by pecking at it and hitting it on the floor before feeding the chicks.

It helps at this time if the smaller insects, such as pinhead crickets, are provided to them as less work is required for the parents to prepare the food for the chicks. By the time the chicks emerge from the nest-box, the parents will tenderise the insect, fish or frog only a little before feeding it to the chicks.

Chicks at 4 days of age. The chicks grow very rapidly and they are now several times the size they were when first hatched. The eyes are just opening but it will be 2 more days before they are fully able to see.
Sweet Lady with 11 days old male chick that has just emerged
from the nest-box. His unsteady flight is causing her concern and she is singing softly to him.

The parents will be anxious when the chicks emerge from the nest-box. You will know a chick has come out as the parents will be excitedly calling. All bath water and other deep receptacles containing water should be removed in preparation for the chicks coming out of the nest-box as I have known of more than 1 chick falling into the water and drowning on the first day of its flight.

A few days after the chicks emerge from the nest-box, the parents will be ready to raise a new clutch. While the hen is on the next nest, she will not be interested in feeding the chicks but the father will do so. The chicks should be able to eat on their own by about the 24th day after they are hatched. They should be removed from the breeding aviary before the next clutch of chicks emerges from the nest-box. In the wild, the parents will chase the older chicks from the nest before the next clutch of chicks are fledged. In the confines of the aviary, the father will kill the older chicks if they are not removed.

새끼들의 부화
부화한 새끼들은 눈도 못뜨고 깃털이 전혀 없다. 눈을 뜨는 기간은 부화 후 6일이며 부화 후 10~13일 정도면 깃털이 모두 나고 날 준비가 된다. 머리의 깃털이 충분히 클려면 며칠 더 걸린다.  대부분 어미는 공동으로 새끼를 육추하며 새기들에게 먹이를 먹이기 전에 오랜 시간동안 마루 위에 때리거나 먹이를 쪼아 부드럽게 해서 새끼들에게 먹이를 먹인다.  

이때 이런 작업을 줄이기 위해 귀뚜라미와 같은 작은 벌레들이라면 새끼들에게 먹이를 준비하는 어미들에게 도움을 준다. 새끼들이 나무둥지로부터 나오는 시기까지는 어미들은 새기들이 먹기 편하게 벌레나 물고기, 개구리 등을 부드럽게 하여 급여한다.

부화 후 4일된 새끼는 매우 빠르게 성장하고 부화할 때의 크기보다 3배정도이다. 눈은 아직 다 뜨지 못하고 충분히 뜨려면 2일 더 있어야 한다. 11일 정도면 둥지에서 나오려고 하며 어미는 그 새끼들의 불안한 날개짓에 부드러운 노래로 계속 관심을 보인다.
어미는 둥지에서 나올 때 매우 흥분한다. 새끼부르는 소리가 요란하고 …. 이때 새끼들의 익사사고를 대비하여 모든 물그릇과 다른 깊은 그릇은 치우는 것이 좋다.

이소한지 며칠동안은 어미들은 다음 배의 산란을 위해 암컷이 다음 둥지에 있는 동안 새끼들에게 먹이 먹이는 일에 소홀하지만 수컷은 계속 새끼들을 돌본다. 부화 후 24일이 경과된 뒤에는 새끼들 스스로 먹이를 먹을 수 있게 된다. 다음배 새끼들이 이소하기 전에 번식장에서 분리해야 한다. 야생에서는 다음 배의 새기가 이소하기 전에 전배의 새끼들을 쫓아낸다.
번식장에 국한해서, 새기를 분리하지않으면 수컷이 전배의 새끼들을 죽일 수도 있다.

Chick Development

The plumage of the chicks will be drab with yellow spots. Between 2 to 6 months of age they will commence to molt and their drab plumage will be gradually replaced by adult plumage. My chicks commence to molt at about 2 months of age but those of other breeders tended to molt much later. We used to think that this was because my chicks were mostly kept outdoors whereas theirs were kept indoors in cages. However, when my friends fed their chicks the same vitamins and supplements that I was using, their chicks also tended to molt earlier. We have now concluded that healthy chicks tend to molt much earlier because their robust health enable them to do so.

The chicks appear to learn their song especially during the period of their molt. Care should therefore be taken to provide them with a "teacher" bird during this time so that they will be able to develop their song to its maximum potential. The teacher bird should be placed some distance away from the chicks, bearing in mind that the Shama is a territorial bird and in the wild, the young bird will probably only hear the adult male birds from far away.

Chicks at 45 days of age getting ready to roost at dusk.
The 2nd and 3rd chicks from the right are male. The other 3 are females.
On the completion of their first molt, the chicks will look exactly like the adult. I would place their biological age at this time to be the equivalent of a thirteen year old boy. In fact, some of the young Shamas show no reaction to a female for some time after they have completed their first molt. The young Shama is therefore at an impressionable age and he should not be stressed by being placed so close to an adult male Shama.

In South East Asia, it is generally accepted that the male Shama does not reach his full development and potential until his 3rd or 4th year. After the initial molt from juvenile to adult, the young Shama may have a partial molt before it is a year old. During his 2nd molt, the bird will gain in size and the head may also become a little bigger. The 2 primary long tails may also increase in length by 10% to 15%. These increases, in smaller increments, may continue until the bird reaches its 4th molt.

새끼들의 성장
새기들의 깃털은 노란 점들이 흐려진다. 2~6개월령은 털갈이를 시작하고 칙칙한 깃털은 단계적으로 성조깃털로 바뀌어간다. 일반적으로 2개월 정도이면 털갈이를 시작하지만 영양상태나 사육조건(옥내와 옥외사육의 차이)에 따라 털갈이 시기는 다소 차이가 있다. 즉 건강한 새끼들은 조금 더 일찍 털갈이에 들어간다는 것이 사육자들의 의견이다.

새끼들은 털갈이하는 동안 특별히 그들의 노래를 배우는 것으로 보인다. 그들의 잠재적 능력의 노래능력를 최대한 키우기 위해서는 이 털갈이시기에 선생새를 준비해 두어야 한다.  
야생에서는 아마도 멀리 떨어져있는 다른 성조의 수컷소리를 들으면서 자라지만 번식장에서는 샤마가 원래 일정한 구역을 가지고 있는 새이기에 선생새는 멀리 떨어뜨린 곳에 보관하여 마음으로 들을 수 있게 하는 것이 좋다.

첫 털갈이가 완전히 끝난 새끼들은 거의 어미와 같아 보인다. 첫 털갈이가 끝난 이 아성조의 샤마는 얼마동안 암컷에 대해 반응이 없다. 아성조는 매우 민감한 나이임에도 불구하고 성조의 수컷과 가까이 두어도 거의 스트레스를 받지않는다.

동남아시아에서 일반적으로 수컷 샤마는 3~4년차 될 때까지 충분히 성장하지않은 채 들여온다. 유조로부터 성조까지 첫 털갈이 후에 있는 아성조는 첫해 전에 부분적 털갈이를 한다. 두번째 털갈이 동안 새들은 덩치가 커지고 머리도 좀 더 커진다. 두번째 꼬리깃도 역시 10~15%정도 더 길게 자란다. 이런 성장은 새가 4번째 털갈이에 들어갈 때까지 계속해서 조금씩 성장한다.   성장한다.  
번호 TITLE 글쓴이 날짜 HIT
공지 사육정보에서는 핀치클럽 2008.01.02 87
2 샤마에 관한 FAQ [2] 핀치클럽 2008.01.03 225
» 샤마 - Shama [2] 핀치클럽 2008.01.03 193
위로